Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ghana visit on 08th May

On 8th morning around 4 AM, we reached Tema port. After that, I worked till noon time. After noon time, I got ready and went ashore. A local guy picked me and two others, one fourth engineer and one motorman and we proceeded to Accra, the capital city of Ghana. It was an hour long trip, including the short stop for fuel.
Once we reached Accra, we went directly to Accra mall. It is very similar to the Pheonix mall in Chennai except that it was smaller. For half an hour, we did some window shopping, visiting shops that we liked and asking prices for things like cellphones and hard disks. After that I noticed a poster of the movie Iron Man 3. Since I didn't have anything else to do, I asked my friends to meet at the bank where we exchanged cash at around 4.30 PM. Then I watched the movie in their Silverbird Cinema theatre. The movie was very good and the last half hour happens on a ship containing Maersk containers. Then all three of us returned back to Tema, where we bought a few items in the market. I bought boxes containing Cocoa powder and a box full of chocolates, because Ghana is well known for its Cocoa.
On the 9th, I left the ship again at around 01 PM. This time I went out to visit the places that I had already been in my previous visit to Tema. I went to the Delhi Palace restaurant and then to Saagar supermarket, a place where Indian eatables were available. In the Delhi Palace, I met three tamilians from Thiruchengodu. They were here in Tema about a Borewell contract and to buy land for setting up the borewell equipment. They were also very good natured. We had our lunch together. After that, they invited me to their hotel. I went with them to their place. There, we watched the Pune-Kolkata IPL match using Internet. Then we watched another tamil movie over youtube. Around 5 PM, I left their hotel and returned back to the ship.
On the 10th around 01PM, our ship left Tema. The ship is now on its way to Capetown, but only to take in some provision for the month long journey to Port Klang in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment